Sunday, November 04, 2012

Confessions of a young writer


It's half past three in the morning and I know I shouldn't be blogging (but who cares, I'm blogging anyway.)

I'm up at this hour right now cause I'm supposed to mug for my Linguistics quiz upcoming this Monday. But my mind is messed up with too many things to think about, especially about tomorrow (or rather today's) SWF event. Happening later on at 7pm. More details visit www.singaporewritersfestival.com

Oh, yes I'm nervous. I'm very nervous indeed. Being surrounded by prolific writers is an honour, of course. But the pressure is overwhelming. I don't know what to say, for I don't have much experience in writing. I, compared to all of them, definitely have nothing much to share.

Yet I don't want to be known as a nineteen year old novelist who writes sappy love stories and has nothing much to impart.

I don't write sappy love stories. There's an element of love, yes. But it doesn't revolve around just that.

I'm writing for a reason.
I'm writing to engage readers.
I'm writing to evoke emotions.
I'm writing to share my thoughts.
I'm writing to impart knowledge.
And I'm writing to inspire.

I want to reach out to those unwilling to pick up Malay novels and read them. I want to change people's perception. Malay novels are most definitely NOT crap.

Age is just a number. I'm more than just nineteen.
And I want people to see that.

3 comments:

  1. I think you shared a great deal during the session. Don't be too hard on yourself. =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh - I hope you don't mind that I lifted a few paragraphs of your post on my latest blog post. :x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! I remember you! Thanks for sitting in our session (: Sure, sure. I've read your blog post. Thanks for the kind words. I thought I screwed! Hahaha.

      Delete