Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Day 9: How important you think education is


I grew up listening to my late father's stories about how tough it was back then to go to school. He didn't come from a wealthy family. And I'm never ashamed to admit that. He had to walk miles to go to school because his family couldn't afford to pay for the transportation. He didn't get any pocket money either. On most days he had only tap water for lunch. He used the same pair of shoes for years sampai koyak rabak tapi tetap pakai jugak sebab tak mampu beli baru and he studied at night sprawled on the floor with the help of candles because his house tak ada elektrik and tak ada proper meja untuk tulis.

That is why he kept telling me, my brother and my sisters how important education is. He'd do anything, just anything, to make sure we get in the best school. It's not easy to get in Al-Maarif. But all three of us - me and my sisters - made it. It's really really really really really mahal. I remember ibu wanting to send my youngest sister to a secular school because having the three of us in the same school is financially straining. But he didn't budge. He insisted because he wanted to prepare us for both dunyaa and akhirah. And I pray may Allah bless his soul for that. Amin, insyaAllah.

He made sure we have everything we need - from stationeries to assessments to a comfortable room with study table and lamp. When I stayed up all night to study and if he's still awake, he'll make me hot drinks, sometimes cereal because he knew whenever my mugging mode's on, I'll skip meals :3

His wish is to see all of us in the university, even if it's crazy expensive to further studies here in Singapore. He kept telling us not to worry about money, because that's his responsibility. All we have to do is study hard and he'll take care of the rest.

Tapi tak sempat kot? He left when I was in my first year junior college. It was on my exam day, by the way. Not even school exam, it's national exam okay. Haha. He sempat wish me all the best the night before though. But I didn't manage to take the exam cause I was in hospital already the entire day heh. SEAB was kind enough to reschedule the exam for me so I took it on the following week. And I got an A. Okay info tak perlu tapi nak bagitau jugak hahaha.

Anyways.

I wish you're here to see me, ayah.
I'm in Nanyang Technological University now. I'm chasing my dreams to be a teacher. Alhamdullilah.

Abang made it to university too, ayah. He's now in Emily Carr University in Vancouver, Canada. Doing what he's best at, filming and videography. 

So you ask me, how important you think education is?

I think you should know what I think by now.

Ps: Hope you can spare a minute to recite Al-Fatihah for Jaafar Bin Hussin. May Allah bless him and you too for reading this :)

xoxo,
N

No comments:

Post a Comment